A child car safety seat will not only keep your child secure but also ensure that you follow children car safety rules while driving around. A child’s car seat is as important as the driver’s seat so make sure you go in for the correct seat type when you make your purchase.
What To Remember While Buying A Car Baby Seat
When buying a child car safety seat and installing it in your vehicle, some of these tips might be useful:
- A child’s car seat should be correctly placed.
- For baby seat safety, the seat chosen should be appropriate to the child’s age.
- The car baby seat should be used for every trip made in the car.
Choosing The Right Car Baby Seat
Just the way you would careful about choosing safe hands for child care for your child, it is important to choose the right baby safety seat as well. When choosing the right child’s car seat, there are certain things to keep in mind so your child car safety seat is safe for your child and in keeping with child car seat laws.
- Infants upto a year old and weighing minimum 20 pounds should be strapped in a rear facing car baby seat which they should continue to use till they reach the maximum height and weight of the child’s car seat. These usually come with handles for carrying and a detachable base.
- Convertible seats for children from ages 1-4 can be used in the next stage, initially keeping them rear facing and then turning them forward. This car baby seat in the back seat of the car is sturdier and has either a 5-point harness or an overhead shield.
- Booster seats which should be placed in the back seat of the car, is the next car baby seat which the child should use after he/she has overgrown convertible seats. Booster seats are of different types- from high backed to backless baby seat safety varieties that help the child maintain the right posture so that lap and shoulder belts are in place. Ensure that the lap belt lies over the child’s upper thighs and shoulder belt crosses over the middle of the chest and shoulder.
- Seat belts should be used only when the child is atleast 8 years of age and the adult seat belts fit correctly. The shoulder and lap belts should again be at their corresponding places following child car seat laws. The child should be able to sit in this position comfortably without slouching.
Additional Tips For Child Car Safety
In addition to the above tips for child car safety, some of these extra tips are also very useful for baby seat safety,
- It is important while following child car safety laws to ensure your child is comfortable and snug in the car baby seat for a smooth ride.
- A rear facing child’s car seat should never be placed in the front seat of a car which has an active air bag in front. If this inflates, it could cause serious injury or death of the infant by injuring the baby’s head.
- A child’s car seat or seat belt is made for one individual and can never be shared.
- Never use a cracked car seat, one that is too old or comes without an instruction manual.
Your child’s safety is of utmost interest and buying a good quality child’s car seat will only be protecting your little ones from danger. So choose wisely and fit it carefully for children car safety.
- Car Safety Seats – American Academy of Pediatrics
- Child Passenger Safety – National Highway Traffic Safety Administration